Renew PA Works Campaign
Solar Ambassador Program
Still time to join our Training on Wednesday, March 3 – See Below!
Join the PA Solar Center for the Renew PA Works & Solar Ambassador Program.
Goal: To galvanize solar owners and other interested citizens to build support to increase Pennsylvania’s renewable energy goals and to educate their communities about the benefits that solar energy can offer to the state as an economic stimulus and jobs incubator in response to the economic crisis caused by the pandemic.
Objective: Engage and train approximately 30+ solar ambassadors across the state to participate in renewable energy education in their communities and counties where they live from February 2021 through June 2021. The Solar Ambassadors will provide virtual presentation to citizens in their community.
Summary: The Pennsylvania Solar Center along with the Renewables Work for PA coalition of more than 100 renewable energy companies will create opportunities for solar ambassadors to engage in statewide policy education with their communities and with decision makers to urge an increase in renewable energy goals in PA. Solar Ambassadors will:
- Educate people about the benefits of renewable energy and the economic opportunities of attracting renewable energy development to their counties
- Create advocacy opportunities to call on legislators to pass legislation that will increase the renewable energy goals in Pennsylvania through direct calls to legislators, letters to the editor, radio interviews, business sign on letters, individual sign on letters, and social media campaigns
The Alternative Energy Portfolio Standard (AEPS) of 2004 is the landmark policy in Pennsylvania that drives the rate of renewable energy development. That goal is currently set at 8% renewable energy by May 31, 2021, with a carve-out of 0.5% of solar energy. That goal will be met this year and unless it is increased, renewable development in the state will slow. Most neighboring states now have goals of 50% clean energy (or greater) by 2030. Pennsylvania has fallen dramatically behind and losing job growth and economic development opportunities as well as carbon reduction opportunities by not updating these goals. With the huge job and business losses with COVID-19, it is imperative that we build opportunities for employment and that we do so in a sustainable manner.
The Renew PA Works initiative is an opportunity to galvanize citizen interest in tackling climate change and building renewable energy industry for the future. Harnessing citizen voices and passion around this issue will be inspiring to their communities and to legislators.
Solar Ambassadors will receive:
- Three hour training and the PowerPoint presentation that you’ll be using in your community
- Certificate for completing the training to use as documentation to present to organizations that you’ll approach to suggest the presentation
- Communications training, including speaking, writing and social media
- A sample press release
- A handbook that contains instructions about how to write letters to the editor, op-eds, hold meeting with legislators, etc.
- Check-in meetings (virtual) with PA Solar Center organizers to ask questions
- Weekly instruction email with reminders to fill out weekly tracking forms and suggestions with what to do that week
- Support from a our leadership team and renewable energy professionals from the Renewables Work for PA coalition
- Communications support for press releases for your events
Commitment: Each Solar Ambassador will agree to the following:
- To give at least three virtual presentations in their region to organizations such as libraries, faith communities, municipalities, Rotary clubs, etc.
- Assist in identifying people to submit letters to editor to different media outlets in your county
- Circulate digital sign-on letters that support increasing the renewable energy goals in Pennsylvania
- Update the weekly tracking log.
- Have good presentation, speaking and communications skills
- Have an interest in seeing more renewable energy in PA
- Commit to providing at least three presentations to your region
- Fill out the application form HERE
Timeline and activities